Priming The Coil
Before you start vaping initially, or if you have just changed your coil or clearomizer/tank, whether it’s classic vaping or Sub-Ohming, always remember to prime your coil.
For classic e-cigarettes, all you need to do is fill up the tank as you would, and assemble the rest of the device. Then allow the device to stand with the tank filled, fully assembled for 5-10 minutes. This standing time will allow the e-liquid to fully saturate the coil, so there is no risk of dry-burning the coil out when you start vaping. To speed up the process a bit, you can also simply draw on the clearomizer without powering up the battery, to help drag the e-liquid through the coil while inhaling/exhaling. Please bear in mind that you should use a steady draw, because sharp hard draws could flood the clearomizer.
With Sub-Ohm devices, there are a few different ways to prime a coil depending on which type of atomizer you are using. If you’re a beginner and just starting off with your first Sub-Ohm device, it’s the same technique as priming the coil with standard e-cigarettes. Simply fill up the tank and allow the device to stand for 5-10 minutes to allow the coil to become fully saturated before you start using it. You can also drip the e-liquid directly onto the coil to speed up the process slightly — avoid over saturating the coil itself as it can cause a bit spitting of the e-liquid for the first few draws. Of course, some vapers like a hot vape so they enjoy this experience! Experiment and find out what you prefer; if you want to avoid this, but feel you’ve over saturated the coil, simply pulse the power button once or twice to burn off the excess e-liquid before taking your first draw.
When Your Coil Needs Changing
Typically, the easiest things to look out for and the things you might notice would be some of the following –
- You may find that you can no longer taste the flavour of the e-liquid as you much have been able to previously.
- The device may not be producing as much vapour; this could either be due to the coil burning out or if the battery is low.
- You may be experiencing a slightly off/burnt and harsh taste when vaping.
- You may find that the device is leaking slightly. This could be because the coil has been oversaturated and has flooded, and therefore can no longer sustain the necessary barrier.
- For sub ohm devices, if you unscrew the coil and have a look at where you can see the cotton wool poking out if this appears to be a very dark grey/black colour, the coil probably needs replacing. When using a new coil, you will see the cotton is a bright white, as cotton wool should be.
Ways to Maximise Your Vaping Experience
- Replace your coil as often as necessary.
- Always keep your clearomizer filled up to at least just above the ‘Refill’ line.
- Ensure devices are stored safely where no unnecessary pressure can be applied, as due to the elongated structure of the clearomizer, unwanted pressure can damage the joints and cause leaks.
- Replace your coil as often as necessary.
- Ensure all air-flow holes are open to create maximum cloud.
- Use a MAX VG or high VG e-liquid to maximise flavour and cloud density.
- Ensure the wick is always saturated.
- Always lower the wattage on a variable wattage device initially when using a new coil for 10-20 draws.
Battery Life and Charging
In order to maintain a healthy battery life, always follow these instructions
- Always try to allow the device to run down completely before fully re-charging to promote a healthy battery life. These batteries can be ‘trained’ so to speak, like a phone or a laptop battery so in order to maintain a battery’s performance, make sure you charge them correctly.
- Never leave a device to charge for longer than 4 hours, and especially not overnight. Both our classic e-cigarette batteries and our Sub-Ohm batteries come with a circuit protection in place which essentially stops the battery from charging after a certain period of time so it won’t overheat.
- We do advise our customers to charge their batteries through a PC/laptop or through the Vapouriz wall plug. This is because some wall plugs, TV’s and other appliances can push too much power through and temporarily shut down the battery as the circuit protection will stop the unit from charging. Please make sure you charge your batteries via a PC or laptop to ensure they charge correctly and fully in the future, unless you are 100% sure that the wall plug you are using will charge in accordance to the batteries requirement.
- Consider cleaning down connections when changing the coil to ensure connection points are dry with no e-liquid resting on top of the battery for example, as this will disrupt and prevent the connection being made to the tank/clearomizer.
- While charging the device, we strongly advise that the battery is locked/turned off. This will prevent damaging the battery and the device circuitry if the battery is built in.